RISE: A Sea-Level Rise Poster Competition
AIGA Hampton Roads is hosting a poster competition that brings awareness to the effects of rapid sea-level rise on coastal communities!
BACKGROUND: Almost 40% of the U.S. population lives in coastal areas vulnerable to sea-level rise. The impact of climate change is being experienced at an accelerated rate. While it touches all of us – whether we live in urban or rural areas – the effects of rapid sea-level rise on coastal communities are particularly destructive.
THIS YEAR’S THEME
Prompt: Reflect on the many problems faced by coastal communities caused by rapid sea-level rise and create an 18”x24” poster design to raise awareness.
Problems faced (Select one or more):
- Rainbomb flooding
- Flooding of neighborhoods
- Flooding of homes
- Flooding of roadways
- Tidal backflow
- Stormwater debris & litter
- Shoreline erosion
- Storm surge
We are also happy to announce the following available awards:
- Best in Show ($150 Cash): Awarded by the jury to the entrant whose poster design demonstrates excellence in concept, execution, and the congruency between the work and the statement of intent.
- 2 Honorable Mentions ($100 Cash Each): Awarded by the jury to the entrant whose poster design demonstrates excellence in concept, execution, and the congruency between the work and the statement of intent.
- IG People’s Choice ($50 Cash): Awarded the night of the exhibition for entrant with the most likes on Instagram.
- FB People’s Choice ($50 Cash): Awarded the night of the exhibition for entrant with the most likes on Facebook.
Jury-selected winners will have their posters professionally printed by SpeedPro Norfolk and displayed along the Elizabeth River Trail. Official dates for the duration of the display and location details will be announced towards the end of the competition.
The artist will retain the ownership rights to their artwork, and all social media posts made by AIGA Hampton Roads will contain a credit line.
All competition winners will have their posters highlighted individually on the AIGA social media accounts.
WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED FRIDAY, MAY 7TH!
Instead of the anticipated live event, AIGA HR will announce the final winners of the competition through a social post that will go live Friday, May 7th, after the “People’s Choice” votes have been tallied up. Posts will be made on AIGA HR’s Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter!
Curated submissions will be displayed on the official AIGA Hampton Roads Facebook and Instagram pages the day of the live event for the community to vote through likes. Each entrant will be in the running for People’s Choice. Voting will begin at 7AM EST and close at 5:30 PM EST.
Remember, you can only cast your vote for People’s Choice during the day of the event! Winners must be present to claim prizes.
DATES TO REMEMBER
Submission Deadline: Friday, April 30, 2021 at 11:59PM EST
Winners will be announced on social media: Friday, May 7, 2021, @ 6PM EST (The anticipated live event is canceled).
SUBMITTING YOUR POSTER
- Your file should be set up to 18” x 24” with a .125” bleed and crop marks. We made Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign templates for you to download here: http://bit.ly/RISEPosterTemplates
- Name your file with your first and last name. Example: Firstname-Lastname.pdf
- Have your artist statement & file ready, then click here to submit your work!
Is there a submission fee?
- Nope! All entrants have unlimited & free submissions.
Can my submission be created in another medium?
- Whatever your medium – we don’t mind. Make sure to send us a digital file at the correct size (18” x 24” with .125” bleed and crop marks) to qualify.
More questions? Contact us at email@example.com