RISE: A Sea-Level Rise Poster Competition
AIGA Hampton Roads is joining forces with RISE to host a poster competition that brings awareness to the effects of rapid sea level rise on coastal communities!
BACKGROUND: Almost 40% of the U.S. population lives in coastal areas vulnerable to sea-level rise. The impact of climate change is being experienced at an accelerated rate. While it touches all of us – whether we live in urban or rural areas – the effects of rapid sea level rise on coastal communities are particularly destructive.
What is RISE? RISE is a 501(c)(3) economic development organization located in Norfolk, Virginia. They enable businesses to develop and scale innovations that help coastal communities adapt to changing climate. Each year they host a RISE Coastal Community Resilience Challenge to fund businesses that will pilot their solutions in the Hampton Roads region.
What is “Resilience”? Resilience is the ability of a community to prepare for and bounce back from severe threats like hurricanes and flooding. RISE is working to build resilience in coastal communities.
THIS YEAR’S THEME
RISE and AIGA Hampton Roads both advocate for critical thought & creative solutions. In this poster competition, our area of focus is specifically targeting “sea-level rise awareness”.
As RISE is actively providing resources to entrepreneurs and innovators to adapt to sea-level rise, we want to take this opportunity to leverage the power of design and reach out to our creative community of artists and designers to reflect on coastal resilience.
Prompt: Reflect on the many problems faced by coastal communities caused by rapid sea-level rise and create an 18”x24” poster design to raise awareness.
Problems faced (Select one or more):
- Rainbomb flooding
- Flooding of neighborhoods
- Flooding of homes
- Flooding of roadways
- Tidal backflow
- Stormwater debris & litter
- Shoreline erosion
- Storm surge
We are also happy to announce the following available awards:
- Best in Show ($150 Cash): Awarded by the jury to the entrant whose poster design demonstrates excellence in concept, execution, and the congruency between the work and the statement of intent.
- 2 Honorable Mentions ($100 Cash Each): Awarded by the jury to the entrant whose poster design demonstrates excellence in concept, execution, and the congruency between the work and the statement of intent.
- IG People’s Choice ($50 Cash): Awarded the night of the exhibition for entrant with the most likes on Instagram.
- FB People’s Choice ($50 Cash): Awarded the night of the exhibition for entrant with the most likes on Facebook.
Jury-selected winners will have their posters professionally printed by SpeedPro Norfolk and displayed along the Elizabeth River Trail. Official dates for the duration of the display and location details will be announced towards the end of the competition.
Jury-selected posters will also be featured in the social media campaign for RISE’s 2022 Coastal Community Resilience Challenge, where businesses around the world submit their innovations to help communities adapt to an ever-changing climate. The artist will retain the ownership rights to their artwork, and all social media posts made by AIGA Hampton Roads or RISE will contain a credit line.
All competition winners will have their posters highlighted individually on the AIGA social media accounts.
THIS IS A DIGITAL EVENT!
In our live event we will announce the final winners of the competition. Everything will be available to stream via Instagram and Zoom!
Curated submissions will be displayed on the official RISE Facebook and Instagram pages the day of the live event for the community to vote through likes. Each entrant will be in the running for People’s Choice.
Remember, you can only cast your vote for People’s Choice during the day of the event! Winners must be present to claim prizes.
DATES TO REMEMBER
Submission Deadline: Friday, April 16, 2021 at 11:59PM EST
Live Digital Event: Friday, April 23, 2021 @ 6PM EST
SUBMITTING YOUR POSTER
- Your file should be set up to 18” x 24” with a .125” bleed and crop marks. We made Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign templates for you to download here: http://bit.ly/RISEPosterTemplates
- Name your file with your first and last name. Example: Firstname-Lastname.pdf
- Have your artist statement & file ready, then click here to submit your work!
Is there a submission fee?
- Nope! All entrants have unlimited & free submissions.
Can my submission be created in another medium?
- Whatever your medium – we don’t mind. Make sure to send us a digital file at the correct size (18” x 24” with .125” bleed and crop marks) to qualify.
Tell me more about the digital live event.
- Save the date! The digital event takes place on Friday, April 23rd via Zoom & IG Live. Curated submissions will be displayed on RISE’s social media.
More questions? Contact us at email@example.com.